Give your business a boost!
As a Northwest Territories Tourism (NWTT) member, you benefit from our many programs designed to support and promote your tourism business. We offer our members access to discounted advertising and marketing support, co-op advertising buy-ins through web, consumer shows, print media and opportunities for professional development. One of NWTT's priorities is also to advocate on our members' behalf.
Listed below are all the benefits that come with an NWT Tourism membership. Being a member with NWT Tourism offers spectacular benefits you definitely don't want to miss, including major savings and advertising, free package listings, discounts on design and web services, free access to sales leads, and preferred avenue in other marketing areas.
- The NWT Tourism website receives over 400,000 unique visitors per year who view over 1,000,000 pages on the website.
- Packages and Stories are the most-viewed content on the website. Jump-offs to tourism operators are substantial.
- Our Facebook following surpasses 80k followers, and our combined social media following is over 114,000. Using our social media channels to share a post showcasing your business grants you access to a crowded online community of potential visitors/guests.
- NWT Tourism provides its members with discounted rates on numerous advertising opportunities. Participating in co-op opportunities is a joint effort that enables members to get an even wider market reach.
included in your membership
NWTT Website – spectacularnwt.com
Members get a no-cost enhanced listing on the spectacularnwt.com website.
- Appear before non-members on all directories.
- Members are allowed to upload up to five photos to support their main listing on the website.
- All of your social media accounts can be linked to your listing - Facebook, Trip Advisor, etc.
- You can use a contact form for consumers to contact you directly from the website with any inquiries they may have (this is optional and completely up to you).
- Tourism operators can manage their own business listing on the NWTT website by uploading their own photos and editing their own listings.
- For members requiring support, we offer in-house support to help manage your web listing on the main website.
List up to three FREE Packages on the website per fiscal year
- List up to three packages on the spectacularnwt.com website for free each year. As the most-viewed type of content on the website, and as a free perk included with an NWTT membership, packages are a key tool for members to attract bookings. Members can supply information and a photo for each package to be included within the packages directory of the spectacularnwt.com website.
Member to Member Benefits
As a member, you can share exclusive discounts/offers to other members through our member website at no extra cost. Simply let us know about the offer you would like to make available to other members, and we can help you draft it and upload it on our member website.
Be given priority to Participate in Familiarization (FAM) tours hosted by NWT Tourism
The purpose of a FAM tour is to provide participants with the opportunity to experience NWT Tourism product first-hand. Media, travel trade and MCIT participants who experience NWT tourism products directly are able to dispense more accurate and interesting information about tourism experiences and opportunities in the NWT to large numbers of potential visitors who are looking for information to select their next travel experience.
Members are the first to be informed of upcoming visiting media, travel trade representatives and Meeting, Conference & Incentive Travel FAM Tours. Being a member with NWTT allows operators to showcase their businesses to outlets in national and/or international markets. Being a member with NWTT allows operators to showcase their businesses to outlets in national and/or international markets.
- Members who are Market Ready are informed of preferred selection for participation on Media Familiarization Tours.
- Members who are Trade Ready Operators are informed of preferred selection for Travel Trade Familiarization Tours.
- Members who are involved with hosting Meetings, Conferences and Incentive Travel trips are informed of preferred selection for these FAM tours.
- Eligible NWTT members have the opportunity to participate in FAM tours, based on the criteria set for each tour.
- NWT Tourism exclusively provides its members with the latest tourism news, opportunities, and information. Member communications are sent via email on a regular basis, and events and news items can easily be retrieved on our member website.
- Sales leads are gathered as we receive send requests for more information via the spectacularnwt.com website or by calling NWTT's call centre.
Advocacy: Voicing your concerns
- NWTT values feedback from its membership on issues affecting tourism businesses and the tourism industry; the information and input we receive allows NWTT to advocate for its members' needs and concerns. NWTT works closely with the Tourism Industry Association of Canada (TIAC) on issues of national interest, and meets often with Legislators related to tourism, providing recommendations to strengthen our industry.
- NWTT provides leadership and raises the profile of the tourism industry in the NWT through media, public relations and networking. We work cooperatively with government and the private sector on initiatives that improve facilities, services and attractions.
- NWTT partners with other tourism industry organizations such as Destination Canada, Yukon Tourism, Travel Nunavut, Travel Alberta, Destination BC and others - on projects that benefit the entire NWT as a growing and vibrant tourism destination and a spectacular place to work, visit, and experience.
- At the same time, NWTT keeps its members up-to-date on the bigger picture of tourism in Canada and around the world.
Reduced Cost Opportunities
NWTT purchases bulk booth space at select Outdoor Adventure and Sportsmen's shows. Since NWT Tourism purchases a block booth space to host all of our operators, members are entitled to discounts when attending these shows and can also benefit from a greater NWT presence.
Tourism Trade Shows
- Where NWTT goes, you can go! We promote your tourism business at trade shows in Canada and around the world – Japan, South Korea, China, Australia, the United States, Mexico and Germany – by displaying your posters and brochures at our booth.
- If members are interested in attending consumer trade shows without NWTT, they are allowed to use our Spectacular NWT banners to help draw that extra attention to their booths.
Access an opportunity to participate in trade missions that may arise
NWTT often undertakes Trade Missions, and only members are entitled to join.
The spectacular Guide
The Spectacular Guide promotes the NWT within Canada and around the world. This annual publication appears both in print and online.
Realize savings when you buy into NWTT co-operative ads in both print and web.
- NWTT purchases full-colour ads in a variety of publications and websites. NWTT members can capitalize on this spectacular global opportunity to showcase their tourism businesses to a wider audience by purchasing space in these co-operative advertising endeavors.
- Member ads are formatted to maintain a uniform “look and feel” and then embedded into the NWT Tourism extensive ads, granting the participating operators wider exposure to purchase ad space in the same publication independently.
Design and Web Services
- Members of NWT Tourism are entitled to a discount for professional marketing, design, and web-related services performed through our Agency of Record (AOR). Please contact NWTT to receive more information on AOR services and rate card.
Annual Tourism Conference Privileges
- Reduced registration fee at the Annual Tourism Conference.
- Voting privileges for the Board of Directors if member dues are paid on or before July 31st of that year.
- Opportunities to present and vote on resolutions at the AGM, setting advocacy priorities for the organization.
Each year NWTT holds a conference in conjunction with our Annual General Meeting (AGM). NWTT encourages all members to attend. This event represents an unmatched member networking opportunity; it allows members in all sectors to participate in information sessions relevant to their tourism businesses, and to share their experiences. This event is also an opportunity for NWTT to not only deliver an update on our marketing and advocacy activities, but also gather useful experiences, insights, and feedback on the NWT Tourism industry and on our performance as a support system to our membership.
Useful information and deadlines:
- Membership is due on April 1 each year.
- Member privileges are suspended after April 30 each year for non-payment of membership fees and will be reinstated upon membership fees payment.
- Members wishing to vote, either in person or by proxy, must have paid their dues in full no later than July 31 and cannot have any outstanding invoices with NWTT.
Members with Special Member-to-Member Offers
- Canadian North
- We are pleased to offer Tour Operators Pricing Program, with discounted airfares for you and your guests. This program streamlines travel arrangements to destinations to and from the NWT. Head to our Canadian North page to click the link.
- Natsai R Consulting
- Natsai R Consulting is currently offering free proposal writing to operators applying for TPDMP Schedule 1 (Business Planning and Transition Assistance), conditional on them engaging us for their business planning needs. If successfully funded for the full amount available under Schedule 1, we will provide a business plan and a four-month consulting package to help kick start the implementation of their plan.
- Sundog Adventures
- 25% discount to NWTT members for Sundog Adventures products.